DALLAS, TEXAS (October 30, 2023) - Envision, a leading non-profit organization dedicated to serving and employing individuals who are blind or visually impaired, has successfully achieved its $15 million capital campaign goal in Dallas, Texas by securing a prestigious $2 million J.E. & L.E. Mabee Foundation Challenge Grant. This monumental grant signifies the achievement of Envision's pursuit to expand its array of programs and services for the blind and visually impaired (BVI) community in North Texas.
The Mabee Foundation's recognition underscores the importance and impact of Envision’s mission. With the infusion of this grant, the organization is poised to significantly enhance its capacity to serve a growing community of individuals in need.
“We are profoundly grateful to the Mabee Foundation for believing in our vision and supporting our mission,” said Michael Monteferrante, President and CEO of Envision. “This grant is pivotal in helping us to complete our goal, enabling us to reach out to more individuals who are blind or visually impaired, enriching their lives and helping them realize their full potential.”
Envision’s $15 million capital campaign, supported by the Mabee Foundation grant, will establish a new state-of-the art center in Farmers Branch, a suburb of Dallas, focused on increasing manufacturing and knowledge-based employment opportunities as well as promoting access to resources key to independent living for people with vision loss. The LC Industries Foundation, who has long supported Envision’s mission, kickstarted the capital campaign with a $6 million gift, the largest donation in Envision’s history. A generous $1 million gift from Larry and Susy Kimbler – among numerous other donors, partners and employees – also helped to fulfill the Mabee Foundation challenge grant.
Once completed by Spring 2024, the expanded facility will nearly double its current size and is expected to:
- Provide manufacturing space, equipment and technology to accommodate long-term growth plans and create 200 new jobs for people who are BVI.
- Implement the Envision Dallas William L. Hudson BVI Workforce Innovation Center that helps ready individuals who are BVI for knowledge-based jobs and provides accessibility inclusion expertise to businesses.
- Expand the Gigi and Carl Allen Family Rehabilitation Center serving all ages with vital therapy, training and support.
- Launch a variety of life-changing programs including college readiness and a vibrant art program for all ages to provide support, community and connections.
- Grow to a 100-seat call center which includes the employment of people who are blind as well as typically sighted to serve as customer service agents for businesses.
- Open the Cathy G. Hudson Envision Child Development Center that will offer comprehensive and inclusive learning experiences and support for children who are BVI or sighted and their families.
- Conduct groundbreaking research at the Envision Research Institute with the goal of removing the barriers for people with blindness or low vision.
- Sustain a comprehensive low vision clinic, the Beacon Vision Center, that provides the most holistic care for each individual client to achieve their rehabilitation goals and maintain their independence.
Envision’s success in meeting its $15 million capital campaign goal through the Mabee Challenge Grant also serves as a testament to the community's unwavering support. With this combined strength, the organization is set to leave an indelible mark in North Texas, empowering the blind and visually impaired community like never before.
For more information on Envision Dallas, visit this link.
About Envision Dallas: Envision Dallas, formerly the Dallas Lighthouse for the Blind, is an innovator in the North Texas community, striving to offer meaningful employment opportunities and resources to more than 150,000 individuals who are blind or visually impaired living in Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Fannin, Grayson, Hunt, Kaufman, Navarro and Rockwall counties. Envision, headquartered in Wichita, Kan., added Envision Dallas to its family in 2018. Envision’s mission is to improve the quality of life and provide inspiration and opportunity for people who are blind or visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research. For more information, visit www.envisionus.com. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Media Contact: Holly Herring, Marketing Manager
Office: 316-440-1531 | Email: email@example.com