1. WHAT IS THE ENVISION INTERNSHIP PROGRAM?
The Envision Internship Program is a twenty five hour per week paid internship that combines business-focused, on-the-job experience with professional development activities. Both the hands-on and professional development activities will develop business competence.
The Internship is a unique experience and requires sincere commitment to the program and outcome. Envision’s measure of success: interns land professional and/or upwardly mobile positions either within the Envision organization, network of agencies or the broader business community.
2. WHY WOULD I WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ENVISION INTERNSHIP PROGRAM?
The Envision Internship Program has been developed to provide qualified and career-minded individuals who are visually impaired or blind with a career path. The Internship will provide the participants many opportunities, including:
- Experience – challenging and rewarding work assignments
- Potential – job opportunities with participation in the Internship
- Learning – participation in various professional development activities
- Coaching – mentors will help develop knowledge, skills and abilities
3. WHAT IS THE TIME FRAME OF THE INTERNSHIP?
The Internship is a two-month program June 1st to July 31st each calendar year located in Wichita, Kansas.
4. DO I QUALIFY FOR THE INTERNSHIP?
Interns are selected based on motivation, competence, experience, academic achievement, references and interviews. Qualifications guidelines:
- A high school diploma or GED
- Professional work experience
- Commitment to landing a professional job at the end of the program
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Office)
- Experience in conducting themselves in professional environments
- Able to provide proof of legal blindness or visual impairment
5. HOW DO I APPLY?
Candidate must apply online. A complete online application is due by May 1st each calendar year.
6. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I APPLY?
Applications are reviewed and suitable candidates will participate in phone interviews and/or in-person interviews.
7. WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED?
Selected candidates will be notified with an offer following the in-person interviews. This offer will indicate the specific wage and benefits associated with the Internship. Candidates who are not selected will be notified once all positions are filled.
8. WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED OF ME IF I AM SELECTED?
All interns will be required to begin work on the same designated date. The exact start day will be provided when the candidate is offered an Internship position.
The intern’s performance will be formally reviewed at regular intervals – the feedback is necessary to improve and develop professionally. Interns will be expected to conduct themselves professionally, be an asset to the worksite and actively participate in Internship-related activities. Interns are expected to meet Envision’s high expectations in terms of performance and conduct – poor performance will lead to termination.
9. WILL I BECOME AN EMPLOYEE OF ENVISION?
Yes. Interns undergo Envision New Employee Orientation, and the interns will participate in a number of opportunities to familiarize themselves with Envision and the expectations of the Internship. Employment includes:
10. WHAT KINDS OF SUPPORT WILL BE AVAILABLE TO ME?
Interns will have the following resources:
- The Envision Human Resources team will be available throughout the program for professional and relocation/travel questions, concerns and issues as well as personnel and employment questions, concerns and issues.
- At the assigned location, there will be a supervisor for each work assignment as well as a mentor for the duration of the internship.
- The interns will be provided a work space with appropriate assistive technology accommodations for a computer and software; and at each work location, interns will be provided office facilities to complete assignments.
11. WHAT WOULD A TYPICAL JOB ASSIGNMENT BE LIKE?
Intern’s assignments will be comprised of work and on-the-job learning. Each work assignment will be a key professional position, including responsibilities that encourage growth and professional development. The assignments will aid in building the interns knowledge, skills and abilities. The interns work will be value-added.
12. HOW DO I FIND HOUSING?
Envision will reserve housing through a local temporary housing establishment and the cost of housing will be paid by Envision. Relocation costs are covered by Envision (moving by a professional van line and air travel). Guidance will be provided to help find transportation options and related local resources.
13. WILL I BE GUARANTEED A POSITION AT THE END OF THE INTERNSHIP?
Envision will not guarantee permanent employment after the internship is completed. Permanent offers of employment will be based on the intern’s performance and business needs at that time.